I was chatting with Michael Paul Britto today and he shared a wonderful piece of insight about his practice with me:
"When I am creating work I am playing a kind of MEMORY game with myself. One 'card' will flip over in my brain- a kind of random snippet from my past- and the Art making is a product of flipping the corresponding 'card'. Making, finding, imagining the possible connections."
Within the space of my own pop cultural obsession I can completely relate to what Michael expresses. The latest connection being 'Four Females' as a sitcom device. There are definitely some connections that I want to explore here for my next collage series. I am first considering the repeating motifs (i.e. The sexpot, the bubblehead, the mother hen, the smartass...) that reveal themselves in each of the shows I've selected. It's a veritable Venn Diagram played out on our television screens.
- Blanche | Dorothy | Rose | Sophia
- Charlene | Julia | Mary Jo | Suzanne
- Mary | Pearl | Rose | Sandra
- Florida | Penny | Thelma | Willona
- Joan | Lynn | Maya | Toni
- Khadijah | Maxine | Régine | Synclaire
- Blair | Jo | Natalie | Tootie
- Josie | Valerie | Melody | Alexandra
- Carrie | Charlotte | Miranda | Samantha