So, I've decided that I am going to prepare a stand-up routine as a performance piece. I am already terrified, which is confirmation that I should do it. Considering this project academically is a supple way to calm my nerves, so I'm listing my findings on my blog... Stay tuned for more.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand-up_comedy "In 2005, Bill Dana, a graduate of Emerson College in Boston Massachusetts and stand-up comedian, approached his Alma Mater about establishing an archive of comedy to help preserve the lush history of the ground-breaking comics of the last century. Over 60 interviews were conducted and a vast database of comedic information is now on record at Emerson College."
- "Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind." - Gilbert Seldes
- “Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.” - Peter Ustinov
- "The Duty of Comedy is to correct men by amusing them." - Moliere
- "A smile is a curve that sets everything straight" - Phyllis Diller
- "I succeeded by saying what everyone else is thinking. " - Joan Rivers
- "I am where I am because I believe in all possibilites." - Whoopi Goldberg
- "Women don't want to hear what you think. Women want to hear what they think- in a deeper voice." - Bill Cosby
- "When you ain't got no money, you gotta get an attitude." - Richard Pryor
- "Comedy rules! Don`t let anybody tell you otherwise, and there are no rules in stand-up comedy, which I really like. You can do anything you want and you can say anything that comes to mind, just so long as it`s funny. If you ain`t funny then get the fuck off the stage, it`s that simple" - Richard Pryor
- "Yeah, I love being famous. It's almost like being white, y'know? " - Chris Rock
- By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth. - George Carlin
- "I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately." - George Carlin
101 Greatest George Carlin Quotes (Just 'cause I think he's amazing...)
Please SAVE THE DATE! I have a feeling I'm going to need all the support I can get!